Radical overhead

Pun intended. Semi interesting kanji related observation:

I learn kanji by breaking them down into their parts and building mnemonics out of those. Since not all kanji are either simple — in which case it's reasonable to remember the single strokes — or composed only of other kanji, I necessarily have to carry some additional baggage along the way.

I wondered how this turned out for me up until now and created a plot. For learning my first 800 kanji I memorized 97 additional non-kanji characters (12% overhead). For the next 800 it was only 13 (1.6% overhead, 6.8% overall).


漢字 — 1600+

99 kanji, 232 words, 35 days; Anki stats, kanji so far.

A minor slowdown. And exams are coming up, so I guess the next 100 will take a bit longer again.

It appears to be getting harder to find kanji that seem definitively rewarding to learn (i.e. are part of a lot of useful/frequently used words), but I've had such phases a few times before and my feeling always turned out to be incorrect. Given that there are sill 500+ 常用漢字 ahead I really hope there's still a bunch of non-obscure ones awaiting me.


Rebuilt in Python

I rebuilt the page with Python, Markdown, and Jinja2.

The code should be a lot cleaner and for me it's more comfortable to type pages and blog entries in Markdown. There are still a few things to sort out but the current state seems presentable. :3



28  27  26  25  24  23  22  21  20  19  18  17  16  15  14  13  12  11  10  9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1